10 Signs Your Hormones Are Out of Balance
Are Your Hormones Out of Balance?
Like any condition, illness or disease it is usually a combination of symptoms that help identify the cause, hormone imbalance is no different. The following 10 signs are classic symptoms. Symptoms that can affect anyone at any age. For women, the most pronounced changes come in their 40’s and 5o’s. Many women are experiencing hormonal symptoms earlier in life due to lifestyle, diet, pollution, toxins, and xenoestrogens (synthetic chemicals that mimic estrogens in our bodies).
The 10 Signs:
- Persistent Weight Gain – Insulin resistance is one of the most common causes of persistent weight gain. Changes in diet will help. Eliminating processed foods, sugars and grains is a good start.
- Belly Fat and Loss of Muscle Mass – Stress is affecting the endocrine system causing an overproduction of some hormones and an underproduction of others. Cortisol is the most common. This makes your body store fat – increasing belly fat.
- Low Libido – One of the most noticeable symptoms of hormonal imbalance is low sex drive/libido.
- Fatigue – Waking with low energy, feeling sluggish mid-morning, struggling with brain fog, and crashing mid-afternoon are all clues of unstable blood sugar.
- Anxiety – Not feeling like yourself – feeling on edge and out of sorts. Reach for dietary changes first.
- Depression – Feeling blue and tearful for no reason – again, start with dietary changes.
- Insomnia and Poor Sleep Patterns – Related to all the other 9 signs – it impacts physical stress and increases cortisol levels.
- Sweating – Night sweats and hot flashes appear to come out of nowhere and are the first uncomfortable signs that women identify as hormonal issues.
- Digestion Problems – Gas, bloating, reflux and slow digestion are all common hormonal problems related to eating fast food, junk food, and highly processed foods.
- Cravings – Related to many of the other signs – specifically insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue. Minimizing sugars, alcohol, and dairy will help control cravings and digestive issues.
Please note that many of these symptoms can be linked to many other physical issues. It is always a good idea to discuss your symptoms with a professional.
At AgeWellMD, a comprehensive blood test is the first step to determine the root cause of the above signs and symptoms. With a combination of diet, reduces stress, sleep, exercise and bio-identical hormone replacement therapy it is possible to come back in hormonal balance for optimal health.